Thursday, March 05, 2015

Your Weekly Amaryllis: Week Nine


Last night, in preparation for a forecast of 6-8 inches of heavy, wet snow expected overnight and throughout the day today, my school declared a snow day, our fourth this school year.  JT was practically euphoric because it means a math test scheduled for today converts to a take-home exam.  I was grateful for the chance to sleep in.  

When we tucked into our bed,  there was a cold rainstorm outdoors; temperatures remained above freezing.   I woke up briefly at 5:00 am and there was barely a dusting of snow when I peered out the window; temperatures had sunk to freezing.  I went back to sleep and got up three  hours later to heavy snow falling.  From the looks of it this morning, a good two fresh inches have already fallen.



I’ve been awake for two hours now and the snow hasn’t stopped.  The forecast assures me that plenty more is on the way.  We be shoveling late this afternoon but for now we’ll cuddle up with a book and enjoy what we hope is the last major snowstorm of our Winter.  That hope isn’t just my ridiculous optimism, it’s the facts on the ground around here.  For starters, my perfectly-timed amaryllis has begun to bloom.


The red flower is a bold show in a snowy window, a cheery raspberry in the face of Winter.  


Spring Break starts after school tomorrow and the two weeks off from regular classes will find me swapping out my closet and abandoning my Winter tights for Spring sweaters and scarves.  JT’s baseball teams begins daily practice tomorrow afternoon.  Saturday night, our clocks spring forward. Those are too many hopeful signs to ignore.  Tick, tock Winter.  Tick, tock.

No comments: