Thursday, October 30, 2014

Favorite Places

Over the weekend, T and I made a trip to Jockey Hollow, the place where we had our first date.  Things are lovely there this time of year.


We took a walk in the colonial garden planted at the farm and T reminded me that the first time we visited this garden, I sampled a gooseberry.  I’d never eaten one before and all those years of reading about gooseberries in English cozy novels tempted me to try.  Let’s just say that I now know why gooseberries need a lot of sugar.  Let’s further note that T requested a second date after she knew I was the sort of woman to eat strange items growing in someone else’s garden.  

This time around, the gooseberries are well past season, but we saw plants that thrive in the cooler weather.  There was mint, still abundant in the cooler fall weather.


And parsley.


The pumpkins had mostly been picked.


There was charming broom corn, which I’ve never seen before.  


Then we made the walk to the apple orchard.  This time, I got a kiss under one of those trees.


That’s happy!





No comments: