Friday, August 15, 2014

Tomato Competition


One of the best things about summer is homegrown tomatoes.  I wait all year for the pleasures of these tomatoes and when enough have accumulated, I make a batch of salsa fresco.  JT is a notoriously picky eater who enjoys tomatoes pureed into sauce or salsa but, to my knowledge, has never eaten a sliced tomato, let alone enjoyed one in a salad or sandwich.  This year, he was game to try his mama’s homemade salsa fresco and, after several bites, announced, “This is really good.”

I was excited that he even tried something new, let alone liked it.  But I am cautious about his sensitivity about being a picky eater, so I calmly allowed that yes, homegrown tomatoes in freshly chopped salsa was rather delicious.  And then he offered, “maybe a tomato would taste good on a sandwich.”

I nearly fell off my chair as I agreed that yes, homegrown tomatoes might be tasty on a sandwich.  It will serve me right if he becomes competition for the homegrown tomatoes in my garden.

No comments: